Posted on December 3, 2019

“Can I switch government phone companies?” This is a common question and we’re here to help.

You might not know this but those who receive a free smartphone can switch providers. Consumers have all sorts of reasons for wanting to make a Lifeline provider switch. It’s a fact that your current provider might be lacking when it comes to customer service or maybe you just want more text and talk minutes.

Reasons to Make the Switch

If you are in the Lifeline program and feel the need for better customer experience or perhaps want a better phone, it might be smart to switch your government phone service. Assist Wireless is the nation’s top choice for users who want high-quality, free Smartphones, reliable service, and networks that offer both text and talk.


Lifeline Program

It’s important for consumers to realize that, even though the Lifeline program is a federally funded U.S. government piece of legislation, when you choose to get your free phone and service from Assist Wireless or any other company, it is that company, not the federal government, that gives you your phone and the service package that goes with it.

With this government phone program, the government simply reimburses your service provider for the expense of the device, service, and the text/talk minutes. That’s why it is vital to choose a provider with a proven track record of excellent customer service, like Assist Wireless.

How Do I Change My Lifeline Provider?

If your phone service is not as good as you want it to be, you are allowed to change to another Lifeline phone service provider. You are not “locked in” to an annual contract, as is the case with some traditional phone company plans. If you are not satisfied with your current provider, there are two things you can do:

1. Contact the Federal Communications Commission and file a formal complaint. This process takes a long time, however, and has to go through several layers of bureaucracy before your complaint gets a response.

2. Choose to simply change Oklahoma Lifeline providers and sign up with a new company. Of the two options, this one is the fastest and easiest for consumers. It’s important to remember that, if you want to change, there is no need to cancel your original service first.

How to Switch Your Lifeline Phone Provider

How Do I Transfer My Government Phone to Another Phone Service?

If you want to switch phone providers to a more compatible option, it can be intimidating. The entire switching-over process for your cell phone service is regulated by an organization called the Universal Service Administrative Company, also known by its initials, USAC. The organization’s website is a helpful resource for consumers who have questions about making the switch. Its web address is The USAC is in charge of administering the entire Lifeline telephone program. It also makes the rules that consumers must follow in order to change phone providers. As long as you follow the USAC rules, it’s simple to change to a new, better provider.

Here are the rules, along with some key points you need to know:

  • When you make a switch, the USAC calls that process a “service transfer.”
  • You have to already have been with one provider for two months, or 60 days, before you can opt for a new service provider.
  • After you make the switch, it’s okay to change your mind again and request yet another provider. However, you can only change one time every 90 days.
  • Call the phone service provider (the one you currently have) and inform it that you want to apply for “transfer of service.” The provider will know exactly what you mean.
  • Your current provider will ask you to fill out a form that shows you are eligible for a free phone and free service. Along with the application, it will ask you to fill out a short form called a “request for change.” This form is the key piece of the puzzle. It lets the provider know that you are going to choose a new company to get your phone service from.

There are still a few more steps, but remember that your old, original phone provider will continue to give you service until the transfer is complete.

  • Next, you’ll need to go online and log into the website of the NLAD, which stands for the National Lifeline Accountability Database. When you get to the website, click on the box labeled, “Transfer NLAD Benefit.” You’ll be asked to enter basic information about yourself for the purpose of identification. Then, you’ll need to click “transfer benefit.”
  • You’ll be asked to confirm that you really do want to change phone providers. Answer, “yes.”

Contact the new phone service provider you want to switch to. The new provider will need several important pieces of data from you to verify identity and to smoothly process your new service application. At the very least, you will need to give your full legal name, physical address, date of birth, current phone number, either written or verbal consent to change phone providers, the last four digits of your Social Security number, and a statement saying that only one person in your household has a Lifeline phone and phone plan.

You can search the Lifeline website to find information about all the providers that have been approved to take part in the program. Once you have decided on the new provider you want, contact that provider directly and be ready to give it all the information it will need.

The new provider might ask for proof that you are eligible to be in the Lifeline telephone program, so be certain to have all your documents ready and nearby when you call. After that, the new provider will process your application and get your new service started. It will also contact your old phone service company and inform it that it has begun your new service. This is the time when your old service will close your old account and stop service.

Be aware that it is a major violation of the Lifeline rules to have more than one service provider at any time. So be careful to follow the procedure for switching service when you decide that you want a new provider.

Don’t Forget!

You can lose your eligibility in Lifeline if you break one of the rules. For example, if you don’t re-enroll by the annual deadline, you will be forced to start your original application all over again. That means having to prove financial eligibility to be in the Lifeline program.

You can be removed from Lifeline if you sign up with more than one service provider at a time. Whether someone does this to attempt to get multiple phones or not, it can get you kicked out of Lifeline.

Finally, it’s possible to lose your membership in Lifeline if your household has more than one Lifeline phone plan. This is probably the strictest rule of all and is well-enforced by the Lifeline administrators. The purpose of the federal law is to give phones to households that need them. The maximum number of Lifeline phones per household is one.

Why Assist Wireless?

Assist Wireless is the leading Lifeline provider in multiple states across the U.S. If you’re ready to switch Lifeline providers, we make the process seamless and hassle-free so you can always stay connected.

At Assist Wireless, we have helped thousands transfer Lifeline services who want to benefit from a higher standard of service. Our support team will guide you every step of the way to ensure you have the best experience during and post-enrollment.
Get in touch with Assist Wireless to start switching Lifeline providers today.



Are there any conditions to switching Lifeline providers?

Yes, you must qualify to change your Lifeline provider, meaning you must meet specific requirements before switching. These rules include the following:

  • You must have been with your existing provider for at least 60 days.
  • You can only switch Lifeline providers once every 90 days following your first transfer.
  • You must be eligible for the Lifeline program when you want to switch.
  • Nobody else in your household can be receiving Lifeline benefits at the time.
  • You must only receive Lifeline benefits from a single provider simultaneously.

Can I keep my old number if I switch?

You may wonder, “If I transfer my Lifeline service, can I keep my old phone number?”
Luckily, numerous Lifeline providers allow you to take your existing mobile number to your new provider. Ensure you notify your cell phone provider that you want to keep your existing number. If your company allows it, they will not cancel your package until you have signed up with your new provider.

How do I cancel my Lifeline service?

When it comes to switching Lifeline providers, the process can be complex. If you wish to discontinue Lifeline benefits or have become ineligible for a free government phone, it is crucial to promptly notify your provider and de-enroll from the program. Please do so to avoid penalties or additional complications. Keep in mind that this is a general guideline for any user considering a change in their Lifeline service.

Can I switch Lifeline providers?

You have the flexibility to transfer your Lifeline benefit to a different company at any point.

Consumers have many questions when it comes to switching their Lifeline benefit to another business. Some of the reasons why people ask, “Can I switch Lifeline providers?” include:

  • You have moved to a state where your current provider does not offer Lifeline services.
  • You want a newer phone.
  • You want better customer support.
  • You want a better data package.
  • Your current provider has discontinued their Lifeline services.

Whatever your reason, you have the right to switch Lifeline providers. If you are ready to switch your Lifeline benefit to Assist Wireless, contact us. We will guide you through the process.

Lifeline Program

Due to sharing many of the same eligibility requirements those currently enrolled in the lifeline program may qualify for The Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) also.

Medicaid / Medi-Cal

Program Approval Letter, Benefit Statement, or Verification of Coverage Letter, should contain the following basic information:

  • Name of the program or state equivalent,
  • Name of the beneficiary,
  • Address of the beneficiary, and
  • Date of the award


Eligibility Screenshot or printout from an online portal or website tool, should contain the following basic information:

  • Name of the program or state equivalent,
  • Name of the beneficiary
  • Medical Identification number, OR
  • Case number,
  • Eligibility dates, OR
  • Current participation status

Federal Veterans Affairs (VA) Veterans & Survivors Pension Benefit

Pension Grant Letter, should contain the following basic information:

  • Participant’s name
  • Address
  • A decision about the participant’s monthly entitlement amount
  • Payment start date

Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)

FPHA award letter, should contain the following basic information:

  • Name of the program,
  • Date of the award,
  • Name of the beneficiary, and
  • Award amount.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Approval Letter or Benefit Statement issued by the SSA, or on SSA letterhead.

  • Consumer’s name
  • Date
  • Eligibility Date
  • Claim number OR Other consumer identification number
  • Payment amount

SNAP / Food Stamps / CalFresh

Program Approval Letter, Benefit Statement, or Verification of Coverage Letter, should contain the following basic information:

  • Name of the program,
  • Name of the beneficiary,
  • Eligibility dates, OR
  • Current participation status


Eligibility Screenshot or printout from an online portal or website tool, should contain the following basic information:

  • Name of the program or state equivalent,
  • Name of the beneficiary,
  • Case number,
  • Eligibility dates, OR
  • Current participation status