How To Qualify for Free Cell Phone

See if You Qualify for Lifeline Free Cell Phone Service

You may be eligible for an Assist Wireless phone with Lifeline cell phone services. Assist Wireless is working with the government to provide free or subsidized cell phone service for low-income individuals, senior citizens, and veterans who meet the following qualifications. If you are currently a recipient of any of these approved government assistance programs you could qualify for a free cell phone and discounted monthly wireless service:

  • Food Stamps – Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Medicaid
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
  • Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
  • Award Letter for Clothing, Shelter, or Utilities from Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
  • Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
  • Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF)
  • Head Start (if income eligibility criteria are met)

Each state has different qualifying programs. If you are uncertain if you qualify, go through our enrollment process to have your eligibility verified. Also, you could be- approved if your total household income is at or below 135% of the poverty guidelines set by your state and/or the federal government. Lifeline is managed by FFC’s Low Income Program of the Universal Service Fund. If you qualify based on participation in one of the public assistance programs listed above, you must provide a copy of documentation demonstrating your participation in the program. Then, and only then, can we provide free or subsidized cell phone service for low-income families or fixed-income seniors that qualify.

If you qualify based on total household income, you must provide copies of one of the documents below:

  • Prior year’s State, Federal or Tribal Tax Return
  • Retirement/Pension Benefit Statements
  • Social Security Benefits Statements
  • Divorce Decree or Child Support Documents
  • Veterans Administration Benefits Statements
  • Unemployment/Workers Compensation Benefits Statements
  • Current Income Statements from Employer or Paycheck Stubs

If you provide documentation that does not cover a full year (such as current paycheck stubs), you must submit three (3) consecutive months’ worth of the same type of document from the previous twelve months.

Go to to see which program works for you.

In addition to providing proof of qualifying programs, you will also need to provide an accepted form of identification.

Accepted forms of identification can be found below:

  • State Issued Driver’s License
  • State Issued Identification Card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Passport Card
  • Military ID
  • Official Tribal Identification

We may also accept other forms of ID or a combination of items that may not appear on this list. If you have questions about the available forms of ID or would like to know if your documentation will be accepted, please call Customer Service at (855) 392-7747.