If you need financial assistance with your current smartphone, talk/text/data plan, or all of the above, you need to check out Assist Wireless and their Bring Your Own Device program as soon as possible! You don’t have to go without your connection to emergency services, work or school communications, or your loved ones. Your connections are especially important now, during a time of social distancing regulations and restrictions. You can get connected today—and even keep the phone you already have and love. How? Assist Wireless has the answer.
Have you heard of the Federal Lifeline Assistance Program? (It’s also known as the “free government phone” program.) This federally mandated program provides low-income individuals, senior citizens, and veterans with access to smartphones and talk/text/data plans. Assist Wireless, Oklahoma’s No. 1 Lifeline Program provider, is here to give you all the information you need about how you can qualify for the program. You will also learn how you can keep your own device and have it transferred to an Assist Wireless account if you’d like to.
How Do You Qualify?
The Federal Lifeline Assistance Program is part of the Universal Service Fund. The purpose of this government-funded program is to serve low-income families, senior citizens, and military veterans.
Individuals who qualify through low-income eligibility (if your household income is 135% or less than the Federal Poverty Guidelines), or program eligibility (by being recipients of government assistance programs such as Medicaid, Veterans, Survivor Pension Benefit, or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) are able to get a monthly discount on cell phones and talk/text/data plans.
Those who live on Tribal Lands are also eligible for special plan pricing and coverage.
You can determine if you’re eligible fairly simply and quickly. There are two categories you can review to see if you meet the requirements: income-based eligibility and government assistance program eligibility.
- You may qualify through low-income eligibility if your household income is 135% or less than the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Or you may also qualify if you are a recipient of a government assistance program such as:
- If you are receiving government assistance from a program such as the examples shown above you will also need to provide proof documents and submit one or more of the following online or in-person as proof of eligibility:
- Program Approval Letter
- Benefit Statement
- Verification of Coverage Letter
- Eligibility screenshot or printout from an online portal or website tool with all applicable information included
What is the “BYOD” Program?
The BYOD or “Bring Your Own Device” program offers customers the option to keep their current phone and have it transferred to an Assist Wireless plan (as long as the phone is compatible with Assist Wireless networks).
If you need financial assistance with your talk/text/data plan and qualify for Lifeline, the Bring Your Own Device program allows you to participate in the Lifeline program and keep your device.
What Are the Steps for BYOD?
Once you’ve determined your eligibility for the Lifeline Program and have your proof documents, your phone’s IMEI number will need to be checked to ensure it’s compatible with the Assist Wireless networks — GSM (T-Mobile) and CDMA (Sprint).
To check to see if your phone is compatible, stop in an Assist Wireless store or call (855) 392-7747 and an Assist representative will assist you. Or you can check it yourself by entering your phone’s IMEI number in the search bar on the Assist Wireless website.
Once enrolled in the Bring Your Own Device program, Tribal-eligible customers will also earn a $15 account credit and Non-Tribal eligible customers will receive 1GB of Free Data. In addition, you will also receive a reliable network with great service and a Free SIM card.
You can visit an Assist Wireless retail location, call, chat, or email to get started and enrolled in the BYOD program or to take advantage of their other plans and promotions. Currently, Assist Wireless operates 23+ retail locations and offers coverage to qualifying customers in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Maryland, and Missouri.
What Other Promotions and Perks Does Assist Wireless Offer?
- Once you sign up, you’ll have the ability to get up to 4GB Free every month, plus birthday and activation date anniversary rewards, and a variety of ways to earn Free account credits.
- Right now, eligible customers can get a Free 5” Android with unlimited talk and text, plus 4GB Free every month! (terms and conditions apply). Visit the site for details.
- You can “refill” your talk/text/data. If you run out of minutes, texts, or data, you can simply “refill” your account at a great, discounted rate. You can reload with 1GB of data for just $15.
- Assist Wireless also offers specialty devices for hearing-impaired customers. Contact a customer service representative for information about Handset Hearing Aid Compatible (HAC) phones.
Assist Wireless offers a choice of plans to meet your needs. The customer service team recognizes there isn’t a “one size fits all” package to satisfy all of their customers. Log on to https://www.assistwireless.com/ and pick the plan that works best for you, or reach out to a customer service representative and let them guide you to your perfect plan or package today.