You’ve got questions. We’ve got answers.Assist Wireless values our customers and we are happy to answer any question. Here are answers to a few common questions about receiving a Lifeline supported wireless phone.
What is Assist Wireless?Assist Wireless offers eligible customers a wireless phone with Lifeline supported service and discounted minutes of nationwide wireless voice service each month. There are no bills or long-term contracts for Assist Wireless customers. Assist Wireless is a Lifeline Assistance program supported by the Universal Service Fund. Lifeline Assistance is only available on one phone line per household. Assist Wireless is available in limited geographic areas and is subject to the Assist Wireless Terms of Service.
Is Assist Wireless service nationwide?Coverage is not available everywhere. See our map to check if service is available in your area. This map is always expanding, so if we are not currently covering your region please check back.
How would I qualify for Assist Wireless?You may qualify for Assist Wireless if you participate in Medicaid, Food Stamps/SNAP, Social Security Income (SSI), or other government programs. You may also qualify if your total household income meets government guidelines in your state. You may be asked to provide proof of government program participation. If you are applying based on income eligibility, you will need to provide a copy of last year’s state or federal income tax return or 3 consecutive months within the past 12 months of your pay stubs, Social Security benefits statement, Veterans Administration benefits statement, Retirement/Pension benefits statement, divorce decree or child support document, or Unemployment/Workers Compensation benefits statement. Please remember to send copies of these documents (not originals) since they will NOT be returned.
Do any restrictions apply?Yes. Assist Wireless is only available to individuals who participate in a qualifying government program or are income eligible. Only one Assist Wireless cell phone with Lifeline service is allowed per household. Your phone service must be in the name of the qualified customer and is non-transferable.
How can I apply for an Assist Wireless cell phone with Lifeline service?Apply online today.
How much does Assist Wireless cost?It is FREE to eligible customers. There are no bills or long-term contracts for Assist Wireless customers.
What services are included with my Assist Wireless cell phone?
There are many standard services that come free with your free cell phone. Additional minutes and services can be obtained for affordable prices.
- Unlimited 911
- Caller I.D.
- Caller Waiting
- Live Customer Service
What if I need to access additional services like texting or international calling?You may add money to your account with a credit/debit card or PayPal.
What proof do I need to provide to continue receiving Lifeline supported cell phone service?In order to continue receiving your Lifeline service from Assist Wireless, you must certify that you still qualify based on participation in certain public assistance programs such as Medicaid, Food Stamps/SNAP, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). You may also continue to qualify if your total household income is at or below applicable Federal Poverty Guideline thresholds based on family size.
When will I receive my minutes each month?Upon application approval and receipt of your Assist Wireless phone, you will need to follow the directions included in the Quick Start Guide (“Activate Your Phone & Start Talking”). Once your phone is activated, you will receive your free voice minutes. You will continue to receive free minutes every month until you no longer qualify for the program. If you need more monthly minutes, you may purchase those from an authorized Assist Wireless representative.
How do I activate my Assist Wireless cell phone?
Before you start using your Assist Wireless phone, you will need to perform a few simple steps to set it up on the network:
- Insert the battery. Turn your phone on by pressing and holding the red power button (or End key). You should see a screen that says “Hi! To get started, press Activate now.” Select “Activate” by pressing the right option key. (The right option key is the key with a thick white line under the word “Activate” on the right side of the screen.)
- The next screen will say “Hold on while we connect to the network…”
- Once your phone connects to the network, the screen will say: “Welcome to Assist Wireless – Please enter your 10-digit Account PIN to continue.” You can find your Account PIN at the top of your Assist Wireless approval letter. Click the left option key to enter your Account PIN. Once you’ve entered your 10-digit Account PIN, press the left option key to select “Done.” Then press the “Down” arrow to scroll down and select the word “Submit” on the screen (the “Down” arrow is the bottom part of the circular button in the middle of the phone). Once you’ve selected “Submit,” press the left option key to continue.
- Once you enter the correct Account PIN, the screen will say “Activating your phone now…this should only take a second or two.”
- You will see a confirmation screen which will display your new Assist Wireless phone number. Write the number down so you don’t forget it. The phone will need to restart to complete activation. Hit “Select” by pressing the left option key to restart the phone.
- Once the phone restarts, you will see a message letting you know that you can start using your Assist Wireless cell phone.